A healthy diet includes eating breakfast each morning, preferably within 1 hour of waking!
People who eat a healthy breakfast are more likely to:
- Consume more vitamins and minerals, and less fat and cholesterol in their diet (1)
- Have better concentration and productivity throughout the morning
- Have better control of their weight
- Lower their risk of coronary heart disease (2)
Don’t currently eat breakfast?
I encourage you to start. Here are a few tips that may help:
- Try a cup of warm lemon water first thing upon rising. This will prepare your digestive system for your next meal. When your body is primed, your appetite will follow.
- Start small. Once your body grows accustomed to eating breakfast again, your appetite will return.
- Prepare food the night before so your time is spent eating and not preparing in the morning.
- Wake up 15 minutes earlier. It doesn’t have to be a long meal, but do try to sit down and focus on your meal for a few minutes.
Don’t love traditional breakfast food? Think outside the cereal box!
- For instance, leftover dinner (e.g. chicken or fish and vegetables), a protein shake, or fruit salad with nuts and seeds, to name a few. It’s important that you’re eating something you enjoy!
Eating a healthy breakfast will provide energy and satiety until your next meal and set you up for a healthier eating day. In general, think protein, healthy fat, and fiber for breakfast. Protein, healthy fat, and fiber in the morning will help to slow digestion and the absorption of sugars, meaning you will be full for longer and your energy will remain consistent throughout the morning, avoiding the temptation to snack throughout the morning or the need for a mid-morning pick-me up coffee. An added benefit of increased fiber is a decrease risk in heart disease, stroke, diabetes, intestinal polyps and colon cancer.
My favorite these days is a breakfast bowl with banana, egg, apple, coconut & almond butter. Easy, delicious and satisfying! Click on the link for the recipe: http://bravoforpaleo.com/2015/12/30/whole30-breakfast-bowl/
What are some of your favorite go to breakfasts?